To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. You MUST arrange a ride for the day of your exam. If you fail to arrange acceptable transportation, your procedure will need to be rescheduled. If you have diabetes, ask your physician for diet and medication instructions. If you are or may be pregnant, please discuss the risks and benefits of this procedure with your doctor.
Please bring a list of all of your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call in as soon as possible.
- You may have a light breakfast or have clear liquids ONLY; please have nothing for dinner.
- DO NOT drink milk
- DO NOT eat or drink anything colored red or purple
- DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages
|Strained fruit juices (without pulp) including apple, orange, white grape, or white cranberry|
|Limeade or lemonade|
|Coffee or tea. DO NOT use any dairy or non-dairy creamer|
|Gelatin desserts without added fruit or toppings (NO RED OR PURPLE)|
SUPREP Bowel Prep Kit is taken as a split dose (2-day) regimen. You take the first 6-ounce bottle of SUPREP the evening before your colonoscopy and the second 6-ounce bottle of SUPREP the morning of your colonoscopy. It is important to drink the additional water as recommended in the Instructions for Use. Both 6-ounce bottles are required for a complete prep. Your doctor will tell you when it is time to begin to take each dose.
- On the evening before your procedure (or when your doctor tells you to begin), complete steps 1 through 4 using one (1) 6-ounce bottle before going to bed
- On the morning of your procedure, repeat steps 1 through 4 using the other
Both 6-ounce bottles are required for a complete preparation.
|Pour ONE (1) 6-ounce bottle of SUPREP liquid into the mixing container.|
Add cool drinking water to the 16-ounce line on the container and mix.
NOTE: Be sure to dilute SUPREP as shown at left before you drink it.
|Drink ALL the liquid in the container.|
ou must drink two (2) more 16-ounce containers of water over the next 1 hour.
NOTE: You must finish drinking the final glass of water at least 2 hours, or as directed, before your procedure.
1. Stay near a toilet! You will have diarrhea, which can be quite sudden. This is normal.
2. Continue to drink the prep solution every 15 minutes as directed. Occasionally, this may involve drinking the solution while sitting on the toilet.
3. Rarely, people may experience nausea or vomiting with the prep. If this occurs, give yourself a 30-90 minute break, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth, then continue drinking the prep solution.
4. It is common to experience abdominal discomfort until the stool has flushed from your colon (this may take 2 to 4 hours, and occasionally significantly longer).
5. Anal skin irritation or a flare of hemorrhoidal inflammation may occur and can be treated with a variety of over the counter remedies including hydrocortisone creams, baby wipes or Tucks pads. Avoid products containing alcohol. If you have a prescription for hemorrhoid cream, you may use it. Do not use suppositories.